Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cherish your Time

Is it me, or is life moving just a little bit too fast these days? I remember feeling like I had all the time in the world to get things done, but these days there isn't enough time in the week. Moms everywhere tell you when your pregnant how fast things go but you never believe it until it happens. I try to cherish every moment I have with Mia which isn't exactly an easy thing to do as a single parent. I am fortunate however, that I have some flexibility in my job scheduling so that I can make some time to be with her. Although, I do make it a priority. When I was hired for my current position, the first thing I asked was about flexibility. I told them upfront I was a single parent and that I needed to be available for my child whenever she needed me. Growing up, my mother worked so much that I have rare memories of spending time with her. I taught myself how to shave my legs, to cook and numerous other things most mothers or parents should teach you. I don't hold any resentment towards her because I know that she (for the most part) was doing what she felt she needed to do to care for us.
It is already so difficult for me to watch Mia have to suffer without a father in her life, because I know first hand the pain and sorrow that it causes. She will have to understand a much different sorrow than I did because unlike her, my father did not choose to walk away from us but was taken. So as a parent, I want Mia to have everything and above all I want her to have time which seems to go by so fast these days.  I try to make sure that I spend time with her as much as I can. These are just some of the things I try to incorporate for us to make this possible....

Every night before bed, Mia gets a bottle and her blanket. We cuddle in the chair while I read to her until she falls asleep. Currently we are on : The tales of Beatrix Potter ( a childhood book of my own)

Snow days - I work from home (regardless of whether my babysitter can take her). Maybe its taking an excuse but I get my work done and I get to see her smiling bubbly face.

On the days that I have to work later in the evening, I wake up earlier and go into the office after we have breakfast, so that I can at least have one meal with her.

I put up electronics and distractions ( unless I am taking pictures of course) during bath time, reading time, night time and most sundays so I can focus only on her.

On the same note, electronics allow me to share Mia with her uncle, grandma and extended family through skype and phone calls which I am very grateful for.

I don't know if its the same for families with two parents but I know as a single parent of a gorgeous girl I can't make time slow down enough and it is so easy to get caught up in the chaos that I forget to look around at the miracle I was given. So I try to remind myself with Mia and every area of my life...to breathe and take a minute. Don't forget how lucky you are to have something so special that you were blessed with to care for, cherish, laugh with and raise. What else matters in life? At the end of the day will you look back and remember the reports that you turned in or will you remember the smile on your childs face? This isn't to say we should ignore work or slack in other areas of our lives but your only young once and memories don't wait.....paperwork, it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment