Sunday, February 9, 2014

A few of my favorite things....

If you are becoming a mommy or already are, I am sure you are well aware of the sprint to collect things for your bundle or bundles of joy. I remember very clearly being on that path.....more stressful than enjoyable for me. However, once Mia arrived I was quite fortunate to have acquired a great deal to prepare for Mia, and as a single mom it was a huge blessing. I thought that I would share some of my favorite tips and favorite items for anyone it might help. First of all...baby showers can be expensive, time consuming and stressful on the hosts part, but completely worth it! I want to stress that for me the joy in my baby showers was getting to celebrate my daughter. I was so happy to have such a wonderful miracle that I wanted to celebrate and share that joy with anyone and everyone I could. If you haven't had a shower yet don't forget that. It is your day to enjoy what life has blessed you with and don't let anyone step in the way of that. Lucky as I am, I had two showers. One was for close friends and the other strictly family (I have a huge family so it was needed).
Here are my top 5 ways to reduce costs and stock up:

1. Diaper Raffle - this is a must. I was able to stock up on enough diapers and wipes for Mia until she was 6 months old!!

2. Decorations - make your own. My cousin hand made decorations and invitations that were beyond beautiful and much more meaningful than costly banners.

3. Food - Potluck....this is not an idea I did but would have in retrospect, as it greatly cuts costs and it  puts less on the hostess.

4. Registry - Make sure you put on items that you will NEED. You will get tons of cute outfits regardless of whats on your registry so think ahead.

5. Hand me downs - I obtained quite a few larger items from my best friend which was absolutely amazing. They grow so fast buying brand new is just not worth it. 

I still have a stock of baby shampoo and lotion for Mia that should last me quite a while. As she is growing though, I am quickly learning new ways to lower costs and keep up with all her changing needs. One thing that I do continuously is watch Craigslist and baby swap sites on Facebook for clothes, toys and other items that Mia needs or can use. I purchased her walker which was almost brand new for only 20 bucks. It was a good thing too because she barely used it and now would rather crawl under it than walk with it. Not  to mention, shes a walking fool these days. Babies are expensive, we have all been told that I am sure a million times, but you never really understand it until it hits you smack in the face. These days we are lucky to have a million options available to help cut costs and as single parents its a must. From used items to tricks of the trade you learn to manage with what you have and you also learn not to skimp on the important things.
I spent a great deal of my pregnancy reading and I learned that some things I was just not willing to skimp on, diapers being one of them. With so many chemicals and recalls make sure that you choose wisely when it comes to your baby. Here are some of my favorites items/brands:

1. Honest Diapers - Not only are they safe but they come in adorable prints for boys and girls.
2. Honest Healing Balm - After trying multiple diaper creams, this one is the only one I will use.
3. Dr. Browns Bottles -  Cute and good for reducing gas. Smaller size worked for Mia as shes so tiny.
4. Soy Formula - I had to switch at about 7 months from breastfeeding and this was my #1 choice
5. Aden + Anais Blankets - my favorite blankets, thin breathable and super soft and cozy.

Of course some of these items I no longer use I am grateful I had them. I can't give Mia everything I want to but at least I can make sure that shes got what she needs. I have learned that I can't keep everything perfectly organic or chemical free, but I can do my best to try. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment