Monday, May 30, 2016

Calling for a return to Nature...


Isn’t it amazing that in a world of so much wonder, we as a society never seem to notice how blessed we are? In a world full of gadgets, iPhone's, technology and reality television the simple yet spectacular world around us gets forgotten. As I am sitting on my back porch (with my laptop ignoring this bliss) I realize that I too fall into this black hole. I look up to see the last glimpse of the sunset on the horizon, a barely pink sky, and the clouds moving along in preparation for a summer storm. It fascinates me. When was the last time you stopped and watched the clouds roll by? Have you ever noticed that some move while others seem to sit still? These are the things I don’t want to miss. These are the things I want to make sure my daughter cherishes. Although I live right in the middle of a major metropolitan area, I am fortunate enough to have found a 5th floor condo that gives me the perfect view of the mountains in the distance and a glimpse past the high-rises and bright city lights. I think it’s someone’s way of attempting to keep me grounded, because sometimes only nature can do that. Today’s generation is definitely far from the one I grew up in. It saddens me that so many people miss these opportunities because they’re stuck inside glued to the television, video games or social media. Now, I love social media and technology just as much as the next person does, my only point is that sometimes it’s too much. It seems to me the more we get drawn in by this world of technology the less we pay attention to our environment. We ignore the extinction of our animals, we are too lazy to separate our trash or pick up what others have left, and we close our eyes to the hungry and the poor. As a child, I spent my days outdoors playing in the dirt, climbing trees and sneaking into my neighbors yard to ride her horses (I was a bit of a daredevil). I cherished my environment and I felt nurtured by nature and animals and all the elements combined. I hope that one day our society wakes up to see what they are missing before it’s too late. Our children are the future. Yes, we have all heard this one before but it’s true. Let us show them how we grew up. Lets remind them that the world is spectacular and filled with so many amazing phenomenon’s still waiting to be found and explained. This summer I plan to make sure that I take my daughter outside everyday. I plan to pick up the trash I see laying on the ground. I plan to play in the dirt with her, climb trees and teach her about all the wonders of nature. I am grateful for this world and everything it has to offer. I am determined to ensure that my daughter experiences everything she can. I challenge you. What are you going to do? Will you be one to sit back and ignore this wonder or will you step outside and watch the clouds roll by?  

No comments:

Post a Comment